Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day One - Lost in the Forest

First of all I think 3:00 in the morning is entirely too early to wake up to catch a flight at the airport. I think the only other reason I would do it is if I were going to Europe or Australia. Immediately after checking in and going through security, which I have to admit was a little disturbing when I practically had to disrobe, we met two women who were also on their way to Jonesborough.

We were delighted to make new friends and look forward to seeing Betsy and Ruth Ann in Tennessee. We discussed our favorite storytellers and left for the boarding gate.

At the time of this writing we are in the air somewhere between Wyoming and Nebraska. We’ll arrive in the afternoon and Tasha and I have talked about going for a ride and seeing a little more of the country side. We’re so close to Virginia and North Carolina we joke about being able to see three states in one day. We’ll see.

On the second flight I sat next to Peter Cook and across from Betsy and Ruth Ann. We picked up our rental car, went for a ride and got lost somewhere between Virginia and North Carolina in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. Even having a Forrester didn't help, we were still lost in the woods. On the way down mountain, we asked for directions and got back on track. We saw our favorite clothing store down South and we checked in our room at the Best Western just in time to see the end of the Palin/Biden debate.

Tomorrow we’re looking forward to hearing some stories at the National Storytelling Festival. But first I have to go to Target and get a cable so I can download the pictures I’ve been taking.

Special thanks to Rod Richards for letting Captain America come along and listen to some stories. I can’t help but think we’re going to have to keep our eye on his to make sure he doesn’t get into any mischief!

No comments: